Thursday, December 31, 2020

Dale's Tales for January

Greetings, welcome to "Dale's Tales" for January, 2021.

HAPPY NEW YEAR and let's all hope it brings us back to a more normal lifestyle.

SOME CHANGES FOR 2021: With the New Year, we report some changes within the Great Lakes Division. As you know, Tom Delaney W8WTD chose not to run for re-election as our Division Vice Director. Former Ohio Section Manager Scott Yonally, N8SY was elected to the post and officially took office January first. We also bid farewell to "Tom's Tome", W8WTD's monthly news section of this column and introduce "Scott's Stuff", to keep you apprised of Division news from the Vice Director's perspective.

We also welcome the new Section Manager for the Ohio Section as Tom Sly WB8LCD takes the helm to manage the nation's largest Section in terms of ham population. Tom had been recently serving as Ohio's Affiliated Club Coordinator and brings a wealth of experience in team management to his new post.

My special thanks to Tom Delaney W8WTD who has been such a team player and wonderful associate while serving as our Vice Director. Thanks Tom for all of your efforts and successes and best wishes as you continue to enjoy ham radio.

A special note to Scott N8SY as he changes roles: "Scott, you voluntarily retired from the Section Manager slot - remember that - it is now WB8LCD's job - remember that. Tom will do it differently, make changes, bring in new ideas, and toss old ones. Sit back and enjoy, it's Tom's turn." <GRIN>.

UPDATES: The ARRL Board of Directors meets the third weekend of January, again by remote due to COVID restrictions. This seems to work pretty well for the actual meeting process, but is rather limiting when we attempt to discuss new ideas and try to build a coalition in support of a potential motion.

I suspect that it is not too much different from what most of are experiencing when conducting a remote radio club meeting. Still, it is important that we make a full effort to keep close contact with our membership and likewise take the extra action to keep those members involved. We are seeing a lot of live remote presentations and pre-recorded videos put to use. These have offered new technical training materials, reported on some historical and very interesting DXpeditions, provided some new contesting ideas and ham radio product reviews. Actually it is really taking some of the edge off for those of us in lock-down. Club programs are a revitalized initiative for radio clubs - let's keep it on a roll.

SCOTT'S STUFF: Comments from your ARRL Vice Director Scott, N8SY.

Wow, what a year this has been for all of us. This being my first article as the Great Lakes Division Vice Director I want to say that I have some really big shoes to fill as Tom, W8WTD did a really exceptional job over these many years and I have a great example to follow and grow on. I will do my level best to carry on in his footsteps in serving Dale as a team partner in taking the Great Lakes Division to the “Next Level.”

A lot of you are most likely wondering just who the heck is this guy anyway. Well, here’s a little background information about me. I became licensed in January 1979 as a Novice. I was issued one of those unusual newfangled "KA8" calls that really stuck out “KA8DWI.”

Don’t worry, I’ve heard it all. But I was proud of becoming an Amateur Radio operator no matter what the call sign. Oh, I do have that call sign on a license plate! I soon upgraded to General and then again to the now almost extinct Advanced Class license and became KC8SS. Yes, I was kidded about now becoming “Suddenly Sober,” but I will say this, I really loved that call! I was sought after during Sweepstakes every year. My boss convinced me to upgrade one more time and I got my amateur extra along with a new call sign N8SY. YES, I am a CW nut as well as a life member of the ARRL.

I’ve always had a place in my heart for emergency communications and traffic handling. Over the years I have been a part of numerous emergency situations and have been very active in a number of traffic nets around the country. I’m currently the resident troubleshooter for ARES Connect assisting Headquarters as well as volunteers from around the country getting them up and running. In the late 1990’s I got interested in the world wide web and created a number of websites, including the one for the Great Lakes Division.

In 2019 I received the Joe Knight, Distinguished Service Award for my work as Section Manager of Ohio, and for my leadership contributions to the ARRL and its Field Organization. I am one of only 9 Section Managers in the country to receive this award and I am so very honored to be able to serve all of you.

That’s going to do it from here. I want to say to everyone…. Have a Fantastic New Year!! Let’s keep our fingers crossed that we all get to meet at a Hamfest somewhere soon.

--73, Scott Yonally N8SY, Vice Director, Great Lakes Division


HAMFESTING: For the latest detail on regional hamfests, check the ARRL web page at: http://www.arrl.org/hamfests-and-conventions-calendar.

If you plan to request ARRL Hamfest Sanctioning, please do so well in advance of your Hamfest date, as this allows adequate time for QST Listings. QST announcements require a 3 month lead time.

Be sure to invite your ARRL Officials as soon as your date is set.

Things do require some advanced planning, especially under the current travel restrictions.

This is a continuing struggle for most hamfest sponsors, both in terms of meeting community safety requirements and those imposed by the host venue. If your swap is cancelled or the date is going to change, please notify ARRL HQ. We work together with the HQ staff to verify all new date selections in the hope of mitigating date conflicts.

Here is the current listing of Great Lakes Division ARRL Sanctioned hamfests for early 2021. Please note that all are subject to change, so please stay current by checking the sponsoring club's web page before making your travel arrangements.

On the 2021 ARRL Sanctioned Hamfest calendar:

03/06/2021 - Cave City Hamfest, Cave City, KY

03/07/2021 - WINTERHAMFEST, Elyria, OH

04/25/2021 - Athens Hamfest, Athens, OH

5/21/21021 - Dayton Hamvention, Xenia, OH

It should be noted that there has been a change in the way ARRL contributes to your ARRL sanctioned hamfest efforts. Please carefully read the e-mail from ARRL Headquarters confirming your sanctioning as IT CONTAINS IMPORTANT DETAILS REGARDING PRIZES.

73, Stay safe.
Ham it up!

Dale Williams WA8EFK
Director
Great Lakes Division
wa8efk@arrl.org